Re: Item 4b for 02-08-2022: Discussion and Possible Action Including Adoption of a Resolution Authorizing the County of Mendocino Cannabis Program Director to Update, Amend and Implement Revisions to the Mendocino County Local Equity Program Manual to Maximize Assistance to the Extent Permitted by State Law, Regulations and Guidance (Sponsor: Cannabis)
MCA is grateful that MCP has brought forward this item to enhance accessibility and flexibility of Direct Grant funds from our Local Equity Program in line with our recommendations. We have a few minor suggestions for the language of the Resolution to ensure that the full intent of this revision is properly captured.
The Resolution currently reads:
1. Authorizes the Cannabis Program Director to update, amend and implement revisions to the Mendocino County Local Equity Program Manual to streamline the Program and maximize access to fee waivers, direct grants, and technical assistance, to the extent permitted by State law and regulations and guidance issued by Governor’s Office of Business and Economic Development. The Program Manual and any amendments thereto shall be published on the Cannabis Program’s website and filed with the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors, and shall be effective upon such publication and filing.
We recommend the following specific revisions:
- add the words ‘and Directs’ after ‘Authorizes;’
- add the word ‘immediately’ prior to the word ‘update.’
- These additions would clearly identify that the Board would like to see this happen right away, and not simply be providing authorization for some potential future action.
- Action should be taken BEFORE the Portal reopens to ensure that these changes are made and not delayed due to the increase of MCP workload that will come with additional Portal submissions
- change the words ‘access to’ to ‘allowable uses of.’
We also recommend including language to provide complete clarity that any grantees who are currently in process with their existing budgets, but who may want to adjust their uses based on the expansion of allowable uses, may receive funding right away based on their existing budgets, and revise their budgets to align with these expanded allowances AFTER funds have been received. Applicants can not afford to wait for another time consuming round of changes and approval.
Finally, we suggest that direction be included to MCP to make revisions to the program in line with any State level adjustments that are made in the future without requiring additional Board approval, and that MCP provide any recommended additions for allowances to the State as suggested by Applicants.
The complete text of the suggested revision would read (additions in bold):
1. Authorizes and Directs the Cannabis Program Director to update, amend and implement revisions to the Mendocino County Local Equity Program Manual to streamline the Program and maximize allowable uses of fee waivers, direct grants, and technical assistance, to the extent permitted by State law and regulations and guidance issued by Governor’s Office of Business and Economic Development. The Program Manual and any amendments thereto shall be published on the Cannabis Program’s website and filed with the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors, and shall be effective upon such publication and filing.
2. Authorizes applicants already in process of having grant funds approved for disbursement to revise their budgets after receiving funds to incorporate updated allowances.
3. Directs that the MCP Director Continue to Update the LEP to Include Any Newly Approved Categories or Eligible Expenses as Identified By the State, and That They Request of the State New Items or Categories as Requested by Equity Applicants As Needs Are Discovered.
With these minor adjustments, we feel this language will fully address the needs of MCP to have clear direction on how to move forward, and provide Applicants with the flexibility they need to truly take advantage of the Equity Program.
If you agree with our recommendations please share your support to the Board of Supervisors! Send all communications to your district supervisor directly as well as to firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Make sure to include Email Subject: Comment for Agenda Item 4b on Feb 8, 2022
District 4 – Dan Gjerde firstname.lastname@example.org,
District 3 – John Haschak email@example.com,
District 1 – Glenn McGourty firstname.lastname@example.org,
District 2 – Mo Mulheren email@example.com,
District 5 – Ted Williams firstname.lastname@example.org
If you do not want to send an email, but would like to leave a message for the Board of Supervisors instead, you can leave a voicemail comment to be played during Item 4b:
– Call 707-234-6333 and leave a voice message, up to 2 minutes in length, to be played during public expression/public comment, as it relates to the agenda.
– Speak clearly, being sure to state your full name, District #, and Agenda Item 4b at the beginning of the message
– Anonymous phone messages will not be played back during the meeting